‘I don’t regret it’: Pregnant British schoolgirl who fled London to join Islamic State wants to return to UK

‘I don’t regret it’: Pregnant British schoolgirl who fled London to join Islamic State wants to return to UK – Yahoo NEWS

The British schoolgirl who fled London to join Islamic State in Syria now wants to come home so she can live ‘quietly’ with her baby.

Shamima Begum left Britain when she was 15 to join the terrorist organisation in Syria but, after being tracked down by The Times at a refugee camp in the north of the war-torn country, she now says she’ll ‘do anything’ to return.

Now 19-years-old and heavily pregnant, Begum, the bride of an Islamic State fighter, has already had two infant children who are dead, while her husband is in captivity.

Stating that ‘I don’t regret coming here,’ she told The Times: ‘I’m not the same silly little 15-year-old schoolgirl who ran away from Bethnal Green four years ago.’
She also told the paper: ‘The caliphate is over. There was so much oppression and corruption that I don’t think they deserved victory.

‘I know what everyone at home thinks of me as I have read all that was written about me online.

‘But I just want to come home to have my child. That’s all I want right now. I’ll do anything required just to be able to come home and live quietly with my child.’
Begum was one of three schoolgirls – along with Kadiza Sultana and Amira Abase – from Bethnal Green Academy who left their homes and families in February 2015 to join a fourth Bethnal Green schoolgirl in Syria who had left London they year before. They each married an Isis foreign fighter, according to The Times.

Sultana was reported to have been killed in an airstrike on Raqqa in May 2016, while Begum has recently heard second-hand from other people that Abase, and the other schoolgirl who left Britain in 2014, may still be alive.

When she arrived, Begum was put in a house where jihadist brides-to-be waited to be married, she said.
She was married 10 days after arriving in Raqqa in 2015 to a Dutchman who had converted to Islam. She claims her husband was later arrested, charged with spying and tortured.

She left Raqqa in January 2017 with her husband but her children, a girl aged a year and nine months old and a three-month-old boy, both died in the recent months. Her son had an unknown illness worsened by malnutrition, The Times said.

Begum said she had a ‘mostly’ a ‘normal life in Raqqa, every now and then bombing and stuff’.

She told the paper: ‘But when I saw my first severed head in a bin it didn’t faze me at all. It was from a captured fighter seized on the battlefield, an enemy of Islam. I thought only of what he would have done to a Muslim woman if he had the chance.’

The family went to Baghuz and she left there two weeks ago along a three-mile long corridor east of the town. Her husband surrendered to a group of Syrian fighters allied to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and she has not seen him since, according to The Times.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button