Israel Confirms Latest Strikes on Syria
Xeber24.net – Arab NEWS
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed Tuesday that his country had carried out more air strikes against targets in Syria.
Syrian regime forces had announced Monday that an Israeli drone had fired missiles near a demolished hospital and a military observation post in the southern Quneitra province.
“We are operating every day, including yesterday, against Iran. All the time. Against Iran and against its attempt to entrench itself in the area,” Netanyahu told reporters before flying to Poland for a Middle East conference.
A Syrian military source was quoted by state news agency SANA as saying that the “Israeli enemy” also hit several sites along border villages close to a 1974 demilitarized zone on the Golan frontier, which with Russian support, the regime regained control from opposition factions last year.
Residents familiar with the area said that the sites targeted fall within the strategic area known as the “Triangle of Death” connecting the southern Damascus countryside with Daraa and Quneitra provinces.
The area is a bastion of Iranian-backed militias led by Lebanon’s Hezbollah.
Israel is trying to counter the influence carved out in Syria by Iran, which has supported Bashar Assad’s regime in the war that erupted in 2011.
Israel has been increasingly open about carrying out air strikes in Syria with an election looming in April.
Netanyahu has said in recent weeks that Israel has carried out hundreds of attacks in Syria over the past several years and would ramp up its fight following the planned withdrawal of US troops from the country.
A senior Israeli official said in September Israel had carried out more than 200 attacks against Iranian targets in Syria in the last two years.