News

Syria Demobilizes Recruits Enlisted in 2010

Syria Demobilizes Recruits Enlisted in 2010

Xeber24.net – Asharq Al-Awsat

Syria’s army issued Monday demobilization orders for a new round of men conscripted for compulsory service in 2010, a year before the war started, reported AFP.

The army issued “an order to demobilize officers from Recruitment Class 103” and recruits drafted in 2010, state news agency SANA said.

The order, which comes into effect on Wednesday, also demobilizes officers and reservists enrolled before July 2012.

Those who wished to continue fighting in regime ranks could request to do so, SANA reported the order as saying.

The decision ends the drawn-out deployment of Syrians who enlisted for between 18 months and two years of mandatory military service that year, but who ended up serving for more than eight years because of the conflict.

In May, the army “issued a decision to demobilize the officers and reservists of Recruitment Class 102”, also drafted in 2010.

In previous orders issued in November and earlier this month, the army let go other recruits — officers and reservists conscripted in 2013, said AFP.

Before Syria’s war started in 2011, men aged 18 and older had to serve between 18 months and two years in the armed forces, after which they remained part of the reserves.

But when war broke out, anyone enlisted remained deployed on active duty.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Close